A Historic Kind of Father's Day

Hello adventurers!

Father's Day. A day where we all take a day to spoil the fathers in our life. For my family, we took my dad out to supper at a historic tavern, Cantwell's Tavern. It was my first time adventuring into this establishment, and I have to say, the only disappointment I had was that I had not discovered this hidden jewel sooner.

Here is what their website has to say, and I believe it hits the nail on the head: "Cantwell's Tavern is a unique restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere. Featuring upscale, casual dining with farm-to-table offerings in early 19th century ambiance surrounded by beautiful historic settings. Focusing on the scratch-made menu designed by our chef, including house made breads, pickles, mustard and sausages."



The food....it is fresh - all of the vegetables in my dish were grown locally in an organic garden, and the meal varies depending upon what they got in from the garden that day.

The service....it is fantastic - never once did we have to wait for a drink to be refilled, and they were willing to do whatever it took to make your meal the one you wanted (my dad wanted to substitute a side for another, and they were happy to do so at no extra cost), and they even allowed my grandfather to use the elevator to get upstairs as we had our table on the second floor.

The atmosphere....it is brilliant! You find yourself nestled right in the middle of one of the oldest districts in America. The surrounding houses are boasting dates from the 1700s.




I did some research on the building and found that it was built in 1822 by an outstanding businessman of the time, William Polk. It operated as a hotel and tavern for the next 100 years. The brick building has since been completely restored, and it is now opened as a full service restaurant with a 18th-19th century tavern atmosphere.

Guests to the area are encouraged to explore the surrounding area. So, of course, we took full advantage of the opportunity. Here are just a few pictures from the adventure...


Here is one of the houses we got to see-Beautiful!























Here is another house-this one is more well known and simply breathtaking. In some of theses you can see the cobblestone walkways and roads are still in tact.







Another gorgeous historic home.



And now a historic barn (It looked boarded up, but I believe it is still in use) and the grounds behind it.








I cannot believe that I have grown up in this area, but it took me coming back into the area to see my dad for father's day to discover this gem.

I am so thankful for my dad. He is my biggest fan, my support, my shoulder to cry on, my hero...the list could go on forever. I am so thankful that I got to share this adventure with him. How did all of you celebrate father's day? Who are the father's in your life? I want to hear from you! 

Again, if you like what you see, follow me here, Google+, Instagram (MelLew84), and comment, +1, share.  Get the word out there so we can increase our adventurers!

Until next time adventurers, Dream Big and Live BIGGER!!!

Happy Father's Day!!!

MelLew

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure!

I Am Thankful.

A Covid-19 World