Hot Chocolate

The gentle *tap* *tap* *tap* of each raindrop hitting the leaves in the trees echoes in the stillness of this grey day. I can hear a soft chirping from a bird that has taken shelter in a nearby pine tree. An occasional car drives past, and the sloshing from the tires on the wet road disturb the stillness, but the sound quickly fades leaving behind only the sound of the gentle rainfall.

I glance down to the steam that rises from the cup of hot chocolate that warms my hands. The hot liquid is a sharp contrast to the crisp air. The rich flavor hits my tongue and warms my soul. There is nothing quite as refreshing as a cool autumn morning accompanied by a cup of hot chocolate.

It takes me back to the days when my biggest worry was not getting in enough playtime before the sun went down. I can still hear my mother's voice calling from the back porch. I can still see the sparkle in her eyes and the smile on her face as she would surprise me and my brothers with cups of freshly made hot chocolate after a full day of playing outside in the colorful leaves.

It was like yesterday, and yet, as I stand here in my own back yard, miles away from my family and the home where I grew up, it feels like it was another lifetime ago.

I never want to forget that feeling of wonder I had as a child playing in the autumn leaves. I never want to forget that sense of love I would feel as we would gather together in the warm house afterwards with our hot chocolate and marshmallows. I never want to forget how my mom and dad would sit entranced as we would share all of our adventures from our day.

May we never lose that love, wonder, and awe of the world around us. Take time out of a busy schedule to sit and reflect, to make a cup of rich and creamy hot chocolate, and to think of home and family and friends. Never forget to cherish these precious memories, and continue to make new moments that you will be able to cherish the rest of your days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure!

I Am Thankful.

A Covid-19 World