Christmas Ornaments


It is hard to believe another Christmas is quickly approaching. 

In a year of uncertainties and change I find the familiarity of the holiday more comforting than usual. 

Spending time with family putting up decorations has always been one of my biggest joys of the season. Picking out and cutting down the perfect tree, pulling out all the familiar boxes from storage, and smelling all the scents that will forever be the smell of Christmas. 

This year, however, it connected within my soul more than ever. As my eyes scanned over the familiar things around the house I realized these are so much more than simply decorations and ornaments. 

They are memories. 

I stopped to take more time and began actually seeing the years etched on each one. So much began to flood my mind. Pieces of Christmases past. 

Memories of snow falling, my brothers and I lying at the top of the stairs trying to sneak a peak at what magic awaited us under our tree.

Memories of the warmth of my mom's laughter and the light in my dad's eyes as we spent the entire day together, and the magic of the twinkling lights all over our tree and the hope it created in our hearts. 

My mind then drifts to memories of cooking and dancing to Christmas music in the kitchen with my mom and brother. Using an old wooden spoon and spatula as our microphones caring only about having fun in that moment.

I hear the familar echoes of loved ones that have gone from this world intermingled with the sound of wrapping paper being torn apart as we each try to see what wonders were hidden within and the music from the Disney Christmas parade on the television.

Memories of cold weather, hot chocolate, and the warmth of family held within the walls of our home. 

Memories of childhood mingle with more recent memories of adulthood. 

I see memories of friends, some that have continued on their own way and some that remain close. 

Memories of my family flit through my minds eye, parties, gifts, laughter, food..

Memories...

These decorations...

I gently place each one on the strong branches of 9ur Christmas tree. Each piece holds the possibility of opening up a beautiful pathway to the past connecting us forever to home and love. Perhaps, that is the most magical thing about Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure!

I Am Thankful.

A Covid-19 World