Julie Andrews - My Hero

A very happy 80th birthday to my hero, Julie Andrews.

When I was a little girl I remember watching her wide-eyed as she would clean nurseries with a snap of her fingers, pull lamp posts from her carpet bag, help medicine go down with just a spoonful of sugar, feed the birds, dance with chimney sweeps, jump through chalk drawings into fantastical places of imagination, and in the end pulled a hurting family back together.

As I grew older, I watched as a problematic  nun in training left behind a world she thought she wanted to become a nanny to a group of rambunctious children. She put up with their antics and shenanigans as the children initially tried to drive her out, but they ended up falling in love with her, and she in turn for them along with their father, a man who had forgotten how to love. She again healed a broken family.

Through the years I have watched this amazing woman bring amazing characters to life on screen and stage. I wanted to do what she did. I wanted to bring joy and music to the world. I wanted to inspire and bring hope.

I remember hearing that she had lost her ability to sing her flawless soprano due to a doctor error in a surgery, and my heart broke. I couldn't even begin to imagine what she was feeling. Still she did not give up, and several years later as I watched Princess Diaries 2 I was in tears when I heard her amazing voice fill my home once again.

She helped to spark the dream inside me of becoming a singer. I know I am one of many that have been inspired by her, and even though we have never met, my life is fuller because of her.

I hope that when I am 80 that I will be able to spark even just half as much hope, inspiration, dedication, love, and charm into the people around me as she does.

Happy Birthday, Julie Andrews! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Adventure!

I Am Thankful.

A Covid-19 World